I am making this for the Grace Episcopal Dinner Church Thanksgiving meal.
For the casserole:
- 1 (29 oz) can sweet potatoes, drained
- ½ cup salted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
For the topping:
- 5 tbsp salted butter, melted
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, mash the sweet potatoes and stir in melted butter, milk, sugar, vanilla extract and beaten eggs. Stir until combined well. Pour sweet potato mixture into a 2-quart (8-inch square) baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, flour and chopped pecans. Use a fork or your fingers until mixture becomes small crumbles.
- Sprinkle crumbles over sweet potato mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes until topping is golden brown. Let casserole cool for at least 15-20 minutes before serving. This is important as the casserole will set-up as it cools.