- From queenofhalves' User Info page: "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --C.G. Jung
- From the journal of fireflowerlass: "A woman's heart should be so close to the Lord that a man should have to seek after Him to find her." --Unknown
- From shamanix: "Congress shall make no law respecting an sstablishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
— The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution
- Contributed by chipperazzi: "Destiny is not a matter of chance. It is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." --William Jennings Bryant
- From CP: "I am a friend, and my friendship is not measured by whether or not someone becomes a Christian, but on how loved and accepted they are by me." --Jon Walker
- From Bones: "I can't fight or shoot a gun, but I can spit with deadly accuracy." --Angela
- From Shusu: "I fear no death but the death of love." --Kagome
- From Marvo: "If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?" --Peter Kay
- From The Face of Evil: "Isn't detente what the farmer has with the turkey until Thanksgiving Day?" --Ronald Reagan
- from qos: "It really complicates things when the work tool is also the greatest excuse for procrastination." (referring to her computer)
- "Nothing exists but atoms and the void; all else is merely opinion." --Democritos of Abdera
- Seen in amgu's journal: "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." --Matthew 16:19-21
- From pegkerr's journal: "Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." - Nigerian saying.
- From Confucius: "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
- "There is nothing nobler or more admirable than when two people who see eye to eye keep house as man and wife, confounding their enemies and delighting their friends." --Homer
- From the journal of seshen: "Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Unknown
- From chipperazzi: "To feel a thousand tears inside and not be able to cry them is a very bad feeling, indeed. But if you're a human being, there are things you can do instead. You can whistle, dance a jig, fly a kite, dig a flowerbed--and whistling or jigging, or flying or digging, as long as you do it hard enough, you won't think of your tears. Then a very fine day will come when you'll discover they've escaped without you noticing, and not a tear is left inside." --from Lark's Castle
- Seen in thekristeen's journal: "We ought to do good to others as simply as a horse runs, or a bee makes honey, or a vine bears grapes season after season without thinking of the grapes it has borne." -- Marcus Aurelius
- From baranouji's journal: “Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.” -- Goethe
- Heard on TV: "Write what you love, with love." --Ray Bradbury
- From iswari: "You know that you've created God in your own image when he or she hates the same people you do." --Anne LaMott
Armed Romans in the Senate.
Thin Mints!!!!!!! I also like Savannahs--the peanut butter sandwich cookies. That's their old name. I don't know what their new name is.
Respectively, our great capacity for selflessness and our equally great capacity for self-centeredness.