Aerden (aerden) wrote,

  • Mood:

Job Search Quandary

I am both ecstatic and tied up in knots.

Ecstatic, because I have a job interview with Gibson Marketing tomorrow at 11am.

Tied up in knots because the company's address is 11850 Jones Road, which is 23 miles from my home. On a bus, that's known as 'WAY the heck out there!'

Mark is not happy at the idea of me accepting a job with these people, if offered, because it is so far away, and I am dependent on the bus system. While he could take me to that location now, if he gets a job in a different location, I would need to deal with the bus ride.

I have to admit, I hate long bus rides. I can think of many more useful things I can do with my time than ride a bus for at least an hour, if not longer, to and from work each weekday.

On the other hand, I would really, really like to earn a paycheck.

I don't know whether I would be stupid to accept a job offer from this company, or stupid to turn it down, in my financial situation. I would really like to hold out for a job downtown. But I don't want to toss away an opportunity.

If I call my parents, I know exactly what they'll tell me: "Mark isn't employed right now. He can damned well drive you to this place, if they offer you a job!" (in exactly that tone of voice)

Mark says, "Don't take the first job you get offered, just because you're desperate." We have a friend in that situation. She took the first job she was offered, because she was fired from her last one and had been out of work for 18 months. It's a sales job. She is making shit for wages, and I'm not sure how long she'll last in it. Neither is she. If she doesn't make a sale by noon, they send her home early, so she loses those work hours, as well as the chance to make any sales that day.

On the other hand, gee, doesn't 'desperate' mean 'beggars can't be choosers?'

Mark says we have enough savings to last for quite a while longer. Well, maybe he does, but I don't.

I can't even ask for my parents' advice, because all they'll say is, "Make Mark take you to work, if you get an offer." And if I tell them he's reluctant, they'll bad-mouth him. I don't want to listen to that. It's no more than a part of me thinks, already. I don't need to hear it from them, as well. Still--if there is no bus stop within easy walking distance of the jobsite, I can't in good conscience accept a job with them, regardless.

Oh well...I'll go to the interview tomorrow and do my best at it. We'll see if they make me a job offer and, if they do, how much they offer in salary. If the salary offer is good enough, and if there's a Park & Ride route that goes that way, I really can't see that I can afford to decline this.

Damn. Why did this have to be the first place to invite me in for an interview since last August?

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened